Thursday, January 12, 2006

Tourist Things (with digressions)

It's hot. Hothothothot. And tomorrow I set off on an 8 hour car journey with my family, in a car with faulty air conditioning. So I hope for coolness. Really REALLY much. My grammer is also awful.

So Sam and Bec went home today, after trying all the Oportos in the A.C.T. We also went to various tourist destinations, including the National Art Gallery. Imagine my disappointment on finding that my favourite painting from my last visit was gone. Missing. I suppose they rotated the parts of the collection on display. Still, it was very sad. The painting was called 'Flapper', which shows you something of my obsession with the '20s. They're just so cool. Great fashion, relatively peaceful time of history (in between world wars), not so straight-laced as later years, not in the grip of the depression, nice artwork also. Good detective stories around that time (Dorothy Sayers, and more recently Kerry Greenwood write the best). Thirties films are better, because they have sound, but then the thirties and twenties are similar in many ways. Apart from the fact that the thirties had the Great Depression and the rise of Hitler and other such bad things. It also had such highlights as Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire (and David Niven young with a moustache).
I went shopping today and almot bought a frilly top in kind of 1910 style, but more see-through. Also on display were paisley dresses, fluoro suits and other dated items. What I want to see is return of 1920s fashion. Modified in the usual way but 1920s all the same because it was just so pretty.
State Library had a good exhibition, including Ned Kelly's helmet, paintings, a Tim Winton manuscript and some Peter Sculthorpe music. 'twas interesting, if a little whitewashed in its depiction of National History. I guess that's all you can expect really. I still want to see the National Museum, all I know about it is that it has controversial architecture. So the next person who comes down to Canberra, I'm chock full of sightseeing ideas and activities and you should come now. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Minerva said...

I for one hope that 20s fashion doesn't return. I don't like the idea of flattening my boobs. It's not comfortable, not comfortable at all. Also I'm not shaped like a swizzle stick and finding clothes that fit and looks alright is hard enough as it is. I say Cat should dress up as a flapper for the first 5 days of uni and talk like a flapper as well. Anyone in??

12/1/06 6:54 pm  
Blogger Catie said...

sure, why not? except that i wouldn't be able to find anything suitable...
plus i don't want actual 20s fashion to return, just a modified version, like all the other decades have been.
i'm happy to be the only one wearing it, that's all to the good actually :)

12/1/06 11:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home