Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Thrones, Dominations, Princedoms, Virtues, Powers

Just to prove my theory (or rather, the theory that I plagiarised from my English lecturer) that 'Paradise Lost' is everywhere, I just borrowed a Dorothy Sayers book called 'Thrones, Dominations'. In case you haven't guessed by this point, that is a quote from 'Paradise Lost', book 9 verse 460 I believe, although a similar sentiment is expressed at various times throughout. Sentiment is not the word that should be there, but I can't think of a better one right now.
The Dorothy Sayers book is interesting in itself, being a Peter Wimsey mystery that was left unfinished at the time of the authors death, although with detailed notes for its completion, and so was finished off later by another writer. This is always worrying, you see these books that were finished off or outright written by someone else and, although you know you should probably run a mile, are also filled with curiosity and have to read it all the same. Or I do anyway. Especially in the case of Lord Peter Wimsey. I started reading these books last year, and have read most of them, and had hanging over me that horrible thought, you know, "once you finish these there won't be any more, the author's dead." So was overjoyed to find there was one I'd never heard of. And Peter Wimsey is such a good character. I fell in love with him pretty early on. He's like an early twentieth century Percy Blakeney, or an intelligent Bertie Wooster. He collects old books, is very well read and intelligent, as well as well dressed, urbane and witty, all in all you can forgive him the monocle. Dorothy Sayers seems to have liked him to, I maintain that she wrote herself into the books. But I have probably raved about him before, should therefore shut up now. These obsessions with fictional characters can't be healthy, I've only just gotten over Dmitri from Anastacia. :p
So that has taken me a little far away from Milton, but can somebody read 'Paradise Lost' bookk 1 lines 221-225 and the scene in LOTR in Moria when the Balrog appears and tell me what they think? Is this an answer to the Balrog wings debate (which I realise none of you were probably involved in)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home