Materialism and Racism
My sisters just got back from Sydney tonight, Merry was sitting at the table in a semi-comatose state while Sylvia hi-jacked my laptop. Nice to have them back.
I went shopping today, to buy a birthday present for my sister. But I had no idea what she wanted, so I ended up finding things I wanted. Like:
- a brown top, with picture of a leaf on it. sadly cold hand wash only
- Bright Eyes cd, Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. 'Cos I love I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, and DADU was released at the same time but in different style. I'm curious...
- White Stripes cd, Get Behind Me Satan. I did think they were overhyped... But I love the song 'My Doorbell', having heard it on Rage. I wanna buy a cd for one song to find out if the rest is any good. It's the best way to do it. :)
I just wanted to buy something for myself. So I got a Coldplay single for $1.25. Yay! Only a little materialistic...
Read a couple of books on my NSW trip set in 1960s America and talking about race. One a true story, one not. It surprised me that this stuff really happened. Like that a white woman and a black man getting married, even falling in love, even spending time together, could be so scandalous. This Jewish woman went to New York, married a black man, didn't dare to go back south for fear of lynching. This was the true story. And their children had a hard time, from both black and white people. Which seems weird, to have something against people for being, wow, there is no word that doesn't sound offensive, mixed race? But then, not much has changed, I saw some graffiti lie that the other day. Well, month, but more recently than the '60s. In the other book the protaganist, a white girl, was staying with a family of black women, which was obviously unacceptable. And people felt that hanging on to segregation was a desirable and morally good thing. Some people probably still think that. But how?
Sometimes I think that reality doesn't really hit me. I was watching Mrs Henderson Presents yesterday and I thought, wow, they really did bomb London. That must have been tough.
Things take a while to sink in... But I'm still smart, right?
Well, those were random and unconnected thoughts. And now, I'm going to go shopping. Oh wait, it's 2 am. Dammit! Reality strikes again!
I went shopping today, to buy a birthday present for my sister. But I had no idea what she wanted, so I ended up finding things I wanted. Like:
- a brown top, with picture of a leaf on it. sadly cold hand wash only
- Bright Eyes cd, Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. 'Cos I love I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, and DADU was released at the same time but in different style. I'm curious...
- White Stripes cd, Get Behind Me Satan. I did think they were overhyped... But I love the song 'My Doorbell', having heard it on Rage. I wanna buy a cd for one song to find out if the rest is any good. It's the best way to do it. :)
I just wanted to buy something for myself. So I got a Coldplay single for $1.25. Yay! Only a little materialistic...
Read a couple of books on my NSW trip set in 1960s America and talking about race. One a true story, one not. It surprised me that this stuff really happened. Like that a white woman and a black man getting married, even falling in love, even spending time together, could be so scandalous. This Jewish woman went to New York, married a black man, didn't dare to go back south for fear of lynching. This was the true story. And their children had a hard time, from both black and white people. Which seems weird, to have something against people for being, wow, there is no word that doesn't sound offensive, mixed race? But then, not much has changed, I saw some graffiti lie that the other day. Well, month, but more recently than the '60s. In the other book the protaganist, a white girl, was staying with a family of black women, which was obviously unacceptable. And people felt that hanging on to segregation was a desirable and morally good thing. Some people probably still think that. But how?
Sometimes I think that reality doesn't really hit me. I was watching Mrs Henderson Presents yesterday and I thought, wow, they really did bomb London. That must have been tough.
Things take a while to sink in... But I'm still smart, right?
Well, those were random and unconnected thoughts. And now, I'm going to go shopping. Oh wait, it's 2 am. Dammit! Reality strikes again!

12 Comments:
i got the top today! brown and leafy as described. yay!
Yes but is that for Sylvie or for yourself??
me, all for me!!
merry's birthday, and i got her a present yesterday, is all good
and don't forget the round robin!
Run for the hills as on my blog = really old english dude approaches me speaking in french... *huh, I don't understand* "Oh I thought you were french... Where are you from?" *blah blah blah* "Would you like some coffee?" *ack!!! Runs metaphorically for the hills*
He was like... 50 something???
That's true though, he said he was a french lecturer, so he must'ave been pretty rich :P
Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!
more than 40 no? More than 30 no thinks I...
Yeeessss... you and your younger man ways, me and my geriatric ways... no no not geriatric, the older, older man ways ;)
...that's geriatric to the rest of us :p
ewwwwww Pun... why!! Why??!?!
Coz I can woman, coz I can. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home