Monday, September 26, 2005

Update from You-Know-Where

So, how goes everyone and everything? I think I have the flu, or am getting some kind of cold/flu thingy, my head feels like it's full of cottonwool, my throat is sore, and I feel somewhat dizzy. I blame Canberra for being so cold. Stupid Canberra, I probably shouldn' have packed all those skirts...
In other news, today I paid rent, deposited Heart Foundation money and bought my sister a birthday present. I feel very efficient. I also managed to finish a whole Sudoku (rated moderate) for the first time ever! Not particularly keen on going over it and checking for mistakes. I don't want anything to take away from this achievement. Was, however, unable to concentrate on study. I blamed the flu, but maybe it's just my procrastinatory side taking over again. I do waste alot of time, don't I?
Also started reading 'Sophie's Choice', because I heard a passage form it that particularly impressed me in one of my English classes last year, and also because I was curious about the choice of the title (although there was some kind of spoiler in the weekend paper) and am interested in WWII stories and suchlike. Haven't got very far, but so far the whole thing seems filtered through the 22-year old male narrator's sexual frustration. Not what I was expecting. But it has its good points, so I will persevere. Actually, probably I should give up on it and read about medieval towns instead. I feel like going home to my desk, computer and random notes on pieces of paper are, so I can feel comfortably immured in my topic and then go pester Ang in my study breaks and drink tea and watch Black Books. Here study is inhibited by the fact that I have to work at the kitchen table, sharing it with Sylvia who is (very diligently) studying for the HSC and with my dad on his laptop and so on and so on. I could work in the other room but the lights aren't working at the moment. They were working yesterday however. I think it's me, I have this terrible effect on electronics in this house. Last time I was here all the computers died in some way one after another. This time it's the lights. Maybe I'm cursed? But we have a nice new desktop computer now. Yay! With cordless keyboard, very fancy.
Southerners are everywhere at the moment, Missippi (in the Ladykillers), the frustrated narrator of 'Sophie's Choice' is from the deep south, the insidious influence of 'Forrest Gump' on people's speech patterns (naming no names). O.k., so maybe not 'everywhere' as such, but I'm going to call it a trend for today anyway. A minor trend. Also saw one or two goths in the shopping centre today. Well, definitely one goth, two that were either goths or punks, or gothic punks, or punk goths, or something. Far too many classifications these days. What is the world coming to?

3 Comments:

Blogger Catie said...

i am cursed! now the hot water has stopped working. maybe i should leave now, befoer the house explodes...

27/9/05 5:29 pm  
Blogger Ang said...

Yes, come keep me company. I may be borrowing a copy of the Firefly DVDs, and you said you wanted to watch that. If you come back before thursday, I'll share it with you. *waves DVD temptingly abouve Catie's be-flu-ed nose*

27/9/05 7:41 pm  
Blogger Catie said...

can't come before thursday! sylvia's birthday tomorrow! aww... firefly... keep it and i'll watch it later. or watch it after the movie, yes?

flu + cold showers + inability to wash hair (i am not made of steel) not a good combination :(

27/9/05 11:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home