Monday, September 12, 2005

The mind is a strange thing

Have you ever daydreamed about something really sad, and then found yourself crying? And then you feel silly, because you are just making the whole thing up in your head.

Or you listen to a song, and it draws up memories of certain situations, the emotions you felt at that time. Or even things you haven't yet felt before, kind of like bringing up memories of the future.

Or maybe it's just empathy?

Have you ever formed a whole personality for someone based on just one feature...say something about the way they looked, or something they wore, stood out in your mind, and you kind of used that to extrapolate a character for that person, even though you don't know them.

Or maybe that's just prejudice?

Hmmm....anyways, random non-sensical musings....

2 Comments:

Blogger Catie said...

yeah, it's true, songs are v. emotional. but i never cry in movies. wierd huh?
i guess that's where prejudice starts, but then, it depends on how much weight you put on your assumptions. is the most fun way of people watching though :)

12/9/05 10:22 pm  
Blogger Minerva said...

Daydreamed and cried about it??
- Once when I was much, much younger, when I was 9, I daydreamed my gran died and I cried for like 2 minutes, then realised she's still alive. And she is, Still Alive!

Listen to a song and draws up stuff?? Of the past?
- all the bleeding time.
- Shakira's MTV Unplugged, reminds me of the summer after I arrived back from South America. Boiling hot in my room, sitting in my chair with my feet up, drinking an iced apple juice (yes!) and reading.
- Sugar Ray's Every mornin', reminds me of year 10 art class in the old art rooms, digging out the wooden pieces and inking and printing. I loved that class!
- Skunkhour's Up to our necks in it, reminds me of the coach trip going across the border from Peru back into Bolivia where my leader John said "I'm gonna get you hooked on this." I snorted in response, and yes, now I am hooked on that album.
- Richard Marx's Right here waiting, makes me wanna get a bf, or husband. *not blushin' at all*
- Martika's I feel the earth move, when I was 10 and in the front seat of the car listening to a cassette, oh George Michael's Careless Whisper as well.

Of the future??
- Yep that'd have to be Richard Marx. *cough*

Prejudice - yes bad thing. But everyone does it. And sadly enough, it comes up as pretty useful in nursing. Eg. mentally ill pts present in A&E unkempt, untidy, smelling a bit. Generalisation yes, but it is a well recognised generalisation in mental health.

13/9/05 11:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home